~~~~~~Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers ~~Lilypie Second Birthday tickers~~~~~~

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Big Brother + Language

Another entry about Han Jin.

Big Brother figure

Han Jin is very into his big brother figure, and he is indeed a very loving and caring big brother to Mei Mei. A few snapshots as evidence:

- Mei dropped the bottle purposely, I asked her to pick up. Han Jin intervened: Don't scold my Mei Mei.

- Mei whacked Han Jin on the head for no good reason. My face turned black. Before I said anything, Han Jin said: Mummy, it doesn't hurt. I can see he's holding back his emotion. Mei started to sob after I demanded her to say sorry. Han Jin pat Mei gently on the back: Mei Mei, it's ok. Mummy is not angry with you.

- At the lift lobby, Han Jin dutifully ensures Mei Mei does not stand near the door, because I once told him to take care of Mei after she crashed her finger at the lift in the library.

- At the playground, some of Han Jin's pals or older kids will brush Mei away. Han Jin stands out: This is my Mei Mei, don't push her. This is particularly commendable as Han Jin is usually shy outside, although he looks up to me, hoping me to back him up.

Okie, these are the rosy side. There are times they fight for toys, fight for my attention. But, generally, Han Jin is a sweet brother who is willing to share his toys, give up his books, or let go mummy for a moment. For all these, I am not in a hurry to get him sleep by himself. There will come a day that he doesn't want to share a bed or a room with me any more. For now, I'd enjoy my sweet boy, and compensate for what he has to give up after the arrival of Mei.

瀚今是个好哥哥,关心爱护妹妹。

- 有时妹妹做错事,我让她改正, 瀚今会常常说:不要骂我的妹妹!
- 妹妹现在会没事儿打瀚今。我沉下脸,还没有开口,瀚今说:妈妈,不痛的。我看得出他在用力控制自己的情绪。妹妹见我脸色不对,开始瘪嘴巴准备哭,瀚今赶紧拍拍妹妹的背:妹妹,不用紧的,妈妈没有生气。
- 在电梯间,瀚今会确保妹妹不要站在电梯门口。我记得我跟他讲过要保护妹妹,不要让她的手夹到。
- 在楼下游乐场,瀚今的朋友或大一点的孩子不要和妹妹玩。瀚今说:这是我的妹妹,不要推我的妹妹。虽然他会看着我, 期待我支持他,对瀚今来说,这不是很容易的。他一般非常随和地不会和朋友起冲突。

当然,他们有时也会争玩具,争妈妈。但瀚今绝大多数都会分享他的书,他的玩具,他的妈妈。 所以,我不会急着要瀚今自己睡,我要和我的大儿子多一些独享的时间。也许不久,他会要求有自己的房间。

Language

Han Jin lately picked up certain pronunciation from his classmates. He would now pronounce 't' as 'd', 'p' as 'b', 'k' as 'g'.

He would say: I'm very dired (tired). Ogie (Okie). It's impordant (important), etc.

His grammar is poor. He would say: go where (where do we go?), later you will fall down, this is my one etc.

His vocabulary is limited. He had difficulty in pronouncing 'electricity car' (in the context of environmentally friendly transportation), or 'democratic' ( in the context of national pledge) etc.

Given that English is a second language to me, I couldn't provide a good environment for him to have exposure to the profound English culture and literature, but at least, I will have to correct his grammar and pronunciation for the words I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment