~~~~~~Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers ~~Lilypie Second Birthday tickers~~~~~~

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A moment of darkness 黑暗的一刻

The morning started very early for me today. I felt I was moved and woke up and noticed that I was on Daddy's shoulder, at the lift lobby, with Mummy standing next to me holding my shoes. Mummy changed my pyjamas in the car. I realised that I have not brushed my teeth, neither had my breakfast.

Where are we going? I wondered. I vaguely remembered that last night Mummy told me that we were going to remove the screw in my arm. But How? I asked Mummy. Mummy said only the doctor knows how (Son: I know how, but I don't want to give you the scare by mentioning blade and blood). Mummy has talked to me a lot about doctors, surgeons, chief surgeon recently, and I kept wondering what I could be if I studied harder than the doctors, the surgeons and the chief surgeon.

We arrived at another building (Kent Ridge Wing), not the building where I saw the doctor and watched Tom and Jerry (Main Building, NUH). Mummy did some paperwork with an auntie and we were led to a nice room. I can see a fish pond from the bed, and there was Tom and Jerry in the TV! Mummy said it is still early at 8am and I should sleep for a while. Nope. I wanted to watch TV! Here came another auntie put some cream on the back of my hand, and another auntie wheelchaired Mummy and me to a place. It seems a little familiar, but I couldn't recall. Anyway, I was not bothered as Mummy let me play the games in her iPhone.

I didn't notice Mummy changed into some blue suits that the other doctors wear, as the coloring game was so interesting. We went to another room. Hold on a minute! It does look familiar! A number of aunties and uncles in blue/dark green suits, some equipments and a slim bed in the center. Mummy carried me onto the bed, and over her shoulder, I saw a huge round plate with lots of round rights on it. Memory crept in. I tried to recall but an auntie asked me to blow a balloon. Fine, I'll do it. I blew a few times, and smells a sweet gas. Why Mummy looks so concerned? I am a bit giddy.... Memory came alive! This is the place that the doctor fixed my bone last time! No! I don't want the cut/ I don't want the nausea and pain afterwards/ I don't want to wear the cast! I started to struggle. A few aunties held me down, and put the mask over my nose. The sweet smell came over to me. I cried, but I couldn't hear my voice. Mummy became blurring, I know she bended and kissed me, but I couldn't feel it. My eyelid was heavy. I knew I was going to pass out, like last time. I hate the darkness.......

Pure darkness! No dream! Nothing! It is blank black moment in life and I am alone.

From Han Jin...... Mummy recounts how Han Jin could have felt about the surgery. Mummy knows that there are moments in life that Han Jin has to face it by himself and Mummy couldn't be part of it. But it is too early, and he is too young. I hope he wouldn't remember the feeling.

---- 20 Apr. Han Jin had the screw removed from the left elbow. He was sent into operating theater at 9am. Out in the recovery room at 11am, cranky during the waking up process. Back to the ward at 11.15am. Peacefully slept until 1pm. First word at 1pm: 'Mummy. I am very hungry.' He was fed some water, some milo, some biscuits, some apple, some papaya, some honeydew, some rock melon, some noodles, some dumplings. A little bit of each item. He was bright and active in the afternoon. No vomiting. No giddiness.

I am no Christian. But I thank God, and pray that this is the end of the mishap.

以上我试着从瀚今的角度记录了今天的手术,把螺丝取出来的手术。基本上,瀚今一直是开心的,虽然迷糊着不太清楚要发生什么事情。妈妈又总是有很多分散瀚今注意力的方法。直到进了手术室,瀚今起先还是很配合地‘吹气球’(吸入液化麻醉剂)。后来不知道是因为妈妈掩不住的担心,还是他记起了上次手术的经历,开始挣扎,工作人员强制把面罩戴在他鼻子上,我抱着他的肩膀,一再喊妈妈就在他身边。瀚今在哭,却没有声音;透过面罩,我看到他张开的嘴唇有干裂的血丝;他开始迷离;不到30秒就熟睡过去了。我亲了他的脸,知道他感觉不到。我做过小手术,知道全麻来的时候,一片黑暗,没有睡前的迷离,直接由清醒挣扎到无知无觉,也没有梦,醒来的时候听到遥远的声音,却不可以动。那一刻,一片黑暗,什么都没有,好像那一时段从生命中被掐了出去。

我知道生命中终有时刻你得自己面对,至亲至爱也无法一起承担,可这样的时刻对瀚今来的太早。希望他会忘记这样的感觉。

他手术后很好,初醒的时候有一点挣扎。安静的睡了一会儿。醒来就说饿。爸爸估计把楼下食阁中所有可以买的东西都买了回来。瀚今也很给面子地每种都吃了些!下午就很活泼了,一切如常了。

我没有宗教信仰,但我感谢上苍,所有神明。
Mischievous at registration 登记的时候还调皮;Fascinated by the fish pond in the ward 病房的时候看窗外的鱼塘也开心;
Absorbed by Games before going into OT 进手术室前玩手机全神贯注;quite cooperative when started blowing the balloon 开始吹气球的时候也蛮配合;
cranky in the waking up process 醒来的过程有点困难;fully awake and enjoying food and TV 醒来后大吃特吃并看猫和老鼠

2 comments:

  1. 大家都很勇敢和平常心面对手术过程。祝瀚今早日康复。

    ReplyDelete
  2. 谢谢。他今天已经活蹦乱跳了。得不停地提醒他小心点。:)

    ReplyDelete